Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It's about time

After much delay and procrastination, I have finally decided to bow to public pressure and begin blogging in order to assist others with questions about their gadgets, computers and websites.

I have been considered a geek since my high school days being on the fringe of the lunchtime computer club and having cut my teeth on the trash 80 (Radio Shack TRS80) and commodore 64 computers. I got my love of programming from typing in basic programmes to play games such as horse racing or paddle tennis.

Electronics too has always been a hobby from the age of 11 with making beer powered radios, noise generators and other fun kids stuff, eventually leading to the contruction of my own amplifiers and guitar effects. I was often given peoples "broken" appliances but always had to give them back if I fixed them. Most of them went back.

I ran my own electronic repair business in a small country town, where I found that the majority of problems were incorrect operation, bad handling or minor electronic problems. Very rarely were the problems of a major nature. It was also during this time I was introduced to the IBM computer with my first unit being a 386 after having assisted clients with their XT's and 286 machines. Wanting to know more I set out to do what I do best - break it then fix it, then break it again and fix again and so the story goes. I do this with just about any gadget I can get my hands on so as to get a good understanding of how everything works.

Today I work in the multimedia field with the company I work for always striving to be on the cutting edge of multimedia in our field, with a fair amount of my afterwork time spent programming for business in VB, VB.net, asp.net, php, html, vba in outlook apps and little bit of progamming MDS applications for the Blackberry.

It is not uncommon for me to be asked my opinion in regards to the purchase of new equipment, or to assist with a computer problem more often then I care to admit, so setting up a blog to record those questions with hopefully good answers, will help others with whatever electronic problem they may have, and for the questions I cant answer, hopefully someone else will be able to assist. Whilst I hope this site helps as many people as possible, it is aimed towards the average
home user of technology.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Hi, I am so glad that I found you. You may be sorry that I did. I have a blog and I really know very little about the tech part of it. My question today is... I am trying to get a logo from a site to my blog. I have it in my pictures and tried to post it, but only part of the logo shows. Can you tell me how to remedy this? Thanks so much.